Ready Set Goooooo!

RavenJade

Vampire Princess
Kara RavenJade Summerwind
race_start1.jpg

With news last week that there was going to be a car give away, many players were excited with the possibility of getting their very own car and even better getting it as a gift! June 21st was a long day for many waiting by tp's hoping to catch a glimpse of officals who would hand over virtual keys to a shiny new set of wheels!

However, there wern't as many free cars to be given out as we all had hoped and that left many people a little disappointed that they wern't lucky enough to get a new car.

The DJ's of Atlashavenradio got together and were talking about what could we do- if anything - to maybe let some people that hadn't gotten a car yet a chance to have some fun as well.

We came up with the idea of having a car race for non car owners. With the system in place for being able to loan out your car with little risk to the car owner, we tracked down a race track that was mostly mob free (we had some horses wanting to race at one point ) and decided on the race track east of the New Switzerland tp.

Friday night 00:00 MA time during fishface's radio show we wormholed people in from swamp camp and had a crowd of many others waiting at the starting point at the race.

It was thrilling to see so many eager and mostly cheerful people waiting for a chance to drive a car, and even better race it against other people.

We had 5 heats and the winners of each heat won 10 ped and a seat in the finals.

finalists.jpg

For each round, racers were given access to a generous car owners car , and as they raced around the track, fishface gave commentary and car songs over the radio as entertainment.

What no one knew, except for the AHR dj's was that there was going to be a secret grand prize. We didn't want anyone coming to the race in hopes of winning a cool item. So we advertised small prizes on purpose. When all the finalists were selected Fishface announced to the cheering crowd that the finalists would race around the track for 3 laps and the winner would walk away with a shiny new....GREEN car, donated by fishface himself. His very own car that he had recieved from an offical during the give away.

The final race was intense. They were all neck in neck, with hardly a break in the line. No one knew who was clearly going to take the grand prize. We all waited anxiously watching the final 5 cars whizz by, 1, 2, and 3 times....when it was all over and the dust settled Adamer was the winner, with Parlog coming in a very close second.

greencarprize.jpg

I lined up all the worthy finalists (Lydia, Rufen, Tamlin, Adamer, Parlog ) and congratulated them all on a job well done and gave them their 10 ped prize. I then sent the beaming Adamer over to Fishface so that he could collect his shiny new and very fitting greenmobile.

One participant in the race Steve Saber has been quoted as saying that "This was the BEST EVENT EVER!!". others like Parlog have said, "This was so much fun! Adamer made a perfect race and i have hit a log in the way once , that gave him the 3m advantage to win this race.

GRATZ Adamer!

I was second, but I am happy!"

It was an intense, great event with a surprise ending. It couldn't of been done though without the generous donations of car time by all the car owners that showed up to lend their cars. Entropia Universe is full of some great people and this event clearly showed that in play this past week.

Last edited:
Hate I missed it, was out of town, but gotta admit AHR did a :yay: great :yay: job with this event. Nice surprise for the winner!

A fun time was had by all.

Everyone had a good time includeing the car owners standing as the cars flew by. Big ups to AHR for sorting it out & making it fun & fair.

It really was :D

Thanks for the fun guys and gals! :yay:

And great write up RavenJade. :)

Sounded like so much fun, Keep up the car racing events people, whish i could have been their :yay:

Nice one :) I can forsee some good times ahead.

with a face like a fish you gotta get people to like you somehow :) Thats for carjacking me and dumping my ride in the lake the other night ;)

711 doesn't seem to be about at the moment. I sent him a pm asking him to put something else on the frontpage but it didn't happen for that either. It's possible for some reason he's really really busy.

I'll send him another and see if we can get this on the frontpage. Would be good to have some Vehicle articles up there.

For those that don't get it, this is what giving something to the community is all about. Simply organising a hunting event or developing software that you have to pay for to access all features is not the same. ;)

Nice one AHR. :cool:

with a face like a fish you gotta get people to like you somehow :) Thats for carjacking me and dumping my ride in the lake the other night ;)

He only did that because you said he smelt. He therefore took a bath the easy way, and avoided the snappers and cod in the lake. :D

The only reason he had to abandon the vehicle was because you were too cheapskate to fit a snorkel. :laugh:

Great report RavenJade!

I have taken the liberty of posting this on the front page for a few days, hope you won't mind. :)

Congrats!

It was a really nice (and thoughtful) event!:yay:

Great job people! Wishes for many more to come :)

Very nice initiative from you guys there. Wish i could have been there, but our internet was gone Thursday-Monday :( Must have been great fun for everyone involved. :wtg::yay:

Sadly i missed this :(
Sounds like alot of fun for sure :D
Way to go all that maked this great ewent :wtg::yay:

Nice report to :)

Seems like it was a great event and way to go with the secret price :)

And I hope you didn't run over some pony on your event either and if you did you ended it's life quickly and as best you could with no suffering

Nice report sounded like fun. Too bad I missed it :/ Grats to winners.

Meh wants car :(

A great event and a great report. REALLY sorry that I missed it. :mad: Count me in as a car loaner next time :)

EU needs more people like this. Congrats to all organizers and car loaners. PM me if you need more cars for a future race.

gz to the organizers and all ppl who paricipated and of course to the race winner! and gz for this nice article also. was a lot of fun to read that :)

nice greetings!

Very nice reporting on a fun player organised event! :)

Cheers :beerchug:

btw, I still have video of this fun event. Anyone know of any alternatives to you tube?? :rolleyes:

The video's are much better with the radio show sound track. ;)

Great article, RJ, and I know all the soc guys who were there really enjoyed the whole experience.

And it just proves once again (not that anyone could ever doubt it) that Fishface really IS a decent fellow :)

PS:
More stories like this for the front page pls :yay:

Was a great event i had fun riding in the gunner seat while Parlog was racing it really was a very close race if not for that darn log probably would have been a tie hehe :) and very nice post RavenJade :yay:

Did not have the opportunity to be at the RACE. However, from the report, it seems FUN and well organised. GZ to the people behind the event. ;)

I managed to get 1 video up, but the quality wasn't as good as i'd hoped. Daily Motion has size limits for free accounts.....

This was 1 race in it's entire form so a bit of standing around waiting for the cars. I'm doing another with clips from the full 3 hours of video I saved...

I'm a noob to working with video....:laugh:

Anyway, here's 1 for now....gonna try to squeeze a bit better quality out of the next one and still keep within the file size limits...

This 1 isn't too bad, but blurry in full screen...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdv9i5_races-for-people-without-cars-1_videogames

Sounds like you had a great time! I sure will be in if there is a next race! ;)

Got there late!

I heard about the event and made my way there as quickly as possible. I thought it was a great idea and was excited about being a passenger on a wild ride. Unfortunately I was not sure of the location. I landed on the track and took off to find people in my usual manner.

Now I just dont know why people always go clockwise. This track is much more fun run counter clockwise, so that is the direction I took. I ran into the racers. After much laughter, they told me I was going the wrong way. I have heard that statement a few times before, so I just kept on. It is a round track after all. My passing thru the racers did cause a few crashes, which I admit saddened me. :( I hope that I did not affect that outcome of that heat too much.

Upon reaching the starting point, I was finally persuaded to face my car the opposite direction. A proud and eager driver got in the car and did a fine job. I was texting and laughing so hard that I admit I forgot my drivers name, but he probably knows who is and if he is reading this, I give thanks for a glorious ride the WRONG way around the track.

I heard about the event and made my way there as quickly as possible. I thought it was a great idea and was excited about being a passenger on a wild ride. Unfortunately I was not sure of the location. I landed on the track and took off to find people in my usual manner.

Now I just dont know why people always go clockwise. This track is much more fun run counter clockwise, so that is the direction I took. I ran into the racers. After much laughter, they told me I was going the wrong way. I have heard that statement a few times before, so I just kept on. It is a round track after all. My passing thru the racers did cause a few crashes, which I admit saddened me. :( I hope that I did not affect that outcome of that heat too much.

Upon reaching the starting point, I was finally persuaded to face my car the opposite direction. A proud and eager driver got in the car and did a fine job. I was texting and laughing so hard that I admit I forgot my drivers name, but he probably knows who is and if he is reading this, I give thanks for a glorious ride the WRONG way around the track.

The reason for going counter clockwise was probable due to Fishface being a NASCAR fan and they mostly only know how to turn left :silly2:

Back