'World of Warcraft' blocked in Iran due to US sanctions - Digital Spy UK

Status

News Bot

Guardian
'World of Warcraft' blocked in Iran due to US sanctions
[SIZE=-1]Digital Spy UK[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Guild Wars, RuneScape, Second Life, Dofus, Evony and Entropia Universe are among the other games unavailable in Iran due to the US sanctions. > World of Warcraft Remote service goes free · > 'World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria' cinematic released - ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Blizzard bans World of Warcraft and Battle.net in Iran due to US sanctions[SIZE=-1]Strategy Informer (press release)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]all 5 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

News feed provided by Google News.

How many Iranian players do we have?

I say introduce craftable nuclear blueprint technology, and Iranian Government might let you back in. Call it a sign of good faith.

Rick

How many Iranian players do we have?

I say introduce craftable nuclear blueprint technology, and Iranian Government might let you back in. Call it a sign of good faith.

Rick

Nice just glad it wasn't someone from US that said that... :lolup:

Haven't read the articles don't care to but Bertha might be reporting bad info, someone who cares can read and confirm. US placed sanctions on Iran yes, but US not the only ones isn't it much bigger than just the US? But yet only US gets mentioned, slanted bad press again..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctions_against_Iran <--- Much bigger organizations Sanction against Iran where is their mention in the article?

Oh side note and personal feeling on Iran, only the people of Iran lose and suffer here due to a Government(I use this word loosely) that isn't being run so well. Every country has it's issues good and bad. This can be debated all day/year/century so will leave it at that.

Last edited:
sanctions are getting people put in prison for just helping out their families...
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mo-man-who-sent-money-to-Iraq-goes-to-prison-soon-3812722.php

Kinda sad... makes sense, but kinda sad. My wife used to work about 2 blocks from the market next to the mosque where this guy's shop is, and back then we carpooled a lot, so I actually know the dude as an acquantance. Walked past there many times while waiting for her to get off work (back then she worked til 7 pm and I got off work at 5 PM, so had two hours to kill just sitting in the car, or walking around downtown)

Bought a used tripod from him a mosque fundraiser back before all this shit hit the fan... Guess I know where the cash went now, lol.

Not blocked in Iran, but Iranians blocked by WoW.

If I lived there, you would see me kicking up a trail of dust as I ran to the nearest border with my desktop and PS3 jammed into a backpack, wires dragging behind me, the clothes on my back, and the hope that as soon as I can plug back in, an ATH would provide me with first months rent in a country that doesn't have its head up its ass. Peace and love to all Iranian gamers...lets see how that country survives when most of the 8-40 year olds will be moving out of it in the next 5 years.

Today it's Iran and North Korea... what happens in 2100 when almost every somewhat developed country will have technological potential to develop nuclear weapons... Nuclear club won't be able to bully other countries forever.

I thought political threads weren't allowed?... can't be bov'd to check :) the flawless bertha bot starts political discussion?

Guild Wars, RuneScape, Second Life, Dofus, Evony and Entropia Universe are among the other games unavailable in Iran due to the US sanctions.
This is Blizzard's statement. Is there any made by MA?

Nuclear club won't be able to bully other countries forever.

That is why they desperately want to stay exclusive club.

Last edited:
Today it's Iran and North Korea... what happens in 2100 when almost every somewhat developed country will have technological potential to develop nuclear weapons... Nuclear club won't be able to bully other countries forever.

I think i'd rather see a few crazy people with guns simply bulling others, then a lot of crazy people with guns killing each other... It's anyone guess what will happen... And hope for the best... To be honest it scares the hell out of me when I think about that...

Seems to me most people here don't have in depth knowledge on the UN Security Council, the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty, or anything else related to these issues. People are just parrots of the media instead of doing research themselves. It's terrible that the Iranian people are deprived of so much but their government is to blame, so let's keep personal political opinions out of here.

That is why they desperately want to stay exclusive club.
So did the Hittites who were the first to use iron for weapons instead of bronze, but didn't share the secret of it's smelting even with their closest ally, Troy, letting it to fall. And where are they, who remember them? :)

I think i'd rather see a few crazy people with guns simply bulling others, then a lot of crazy people with guns killing each other...

Well put. What's a little bullying if the alternative is the deployment of nuclear weapons by people who can not be deterred by m.a.d.?

Why should EU, a game from sweden, europe be affected by US sanctions?

What am i missing here? :scratch2:

These aren't US only sanctions, its terrible media reporting. Numerous countries are involved in sanctions against Iran.

"On 17 March 2012, all Iranian banks identified as institutions in breach of EU sanctions were disconnected from the SWIFT, the world's hub of electronic financial transactions."

Recent EU sanctions have been implemented from 2010-2012 involving the trade of petroleum from Iran. Other EU sanctions include the banning of finance, energy, and technology trading with Iran.

Blizzard chose to block WoW from Iran because of US sanctions, but these other games have probably been banned by the Iranian government to try and screw over companies from other countries. It will be a failed plan because Iranian gamers only make up a small percentage of income for these companies.

Last edited:
I dont understand... what is this 'world of Warcraft'..... I have been on this forum for 7years and I have always been told, there does not exist other games.... :dunce:

No shortage of political pressure to join in on the sancitions. A call to MA from Swedish authorities might be an easy way for Sweden to say,"look we are doing are part.".... With EU's ability to transfer funds from one person or another, I can see how it would attract the interest of those seeking to limit Irans ability to trade with other countries...

Seems to me most people here don't have in depth knowledge on the UN Security Council, the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty, or anything else related to these issues. People are just parrots of the media instead of doing research themselves. It's terrible that the Iranian people are deprived of so much but their government is to blame, so let's keep personal political opinions out of here.

True that Rave. It's good to know that there are still people around who aren't blindly affected by media sensationalism! It's the popular 'in' thing this decade to blame pretty much any negative global political issue on the US when there are so many other international parties involved in this complicated process.

It's sad because important problems faced by good people living in countries run by 'questionable' governments are being glossed over by individuals with political bias. Ultimately, we all enjoy playing online video-games and it would be tragic to see people lose access to great entertainment like Entropia. It goes without saying that there are more significant issues at hand, but in relation to our little virtual universe, every single passionate player that is blocked is a huge loss.

These aren't US only sanctions, its terrible media reporting. Numerous countries are involved in sanctions against Iran.

No shortage of political pressure to join in on the sancitions. A call to MA from Swedish authorities might be an easy way for Sweden to say,"look we are doing are part.".... With EU's ability to transfer funds from one person or another, I can see how it would attract the interest of those seeking to limit Irans ability to trade with other countries...

Seriously, sweden is an autonomous country, isn't it?
So why does sweden chime in so uncritically?

No wonder Assange doesn't wanna go there... :silly2:

And what's the point in banning them from a game?
Fear of illegal money transfer in/out of Iran?

Ok, that may apply to EU, the only game with an RCE,but what about the other games, like WoW?
Afraid of iranian gold farmers???

It's not like they export technology, encryption algorithms or other stuff covered by US export laws.
I am quite sure that the gamers among the iranians are not the ones posing problems...

Silly.:yup:

Side effect of PED being tied to USD - US claims to have jurisdiction over all transactions in USD, and everybody carrying out such transactions. See Standard Chartered.

Side effect of PED being tied to USD - US claims to have jurisdiction over all transactions in USD, and everybody carrying out such transactions. See Standard Chartered.

Ok, thx - this doesn't really make sense, but it does at least explain the steps taken.

I wouldn't give a flying rats ass though if i were MA, the US claim all kinds of things that are beyond any realistic limits... transactions in USD outside of the US territory are for sure one of the things they have NO jurisdiction over.

Who's gonna necrobump the old "tie PED to the EURO" threads now? Or should i do that?

:smoke:

I dont understand... what is this 'world of Warcraft'..... I have been on this forum for 7years and I have always been told, there does not exist other games.... :dunce:

It's a planet, being developed by the new planetpartner Blizzard (small company, don't worry of you never heard of it).

Apparently it's going to be a big "noobie kid's land", with colour graphics and soap bubbles.

So where are the admins now? Usually i see posts with racial slur deleted real fast.

There was no racial slur...Learn the meaning of the term before you misuse it again junior ....

There was no racial slur...Learn the meaning of the term before you misuse it again junior ....

Yeah I dont see a slur there either...we have horses here in the US and if someone said "fuck U.S. and the horse we rode in on" it would make perfect biological sense to me and it certainly isn't a "slur". Plus, if he HAD said "horse" instead, all the nit-pickers on the forum would start screaming "OMG...they don't have horse in Iran, CHOPPER whats up? MY loot SUX and your saying Iran has horses? WTF? You work for MA and ND SUXXX WAHHH"...and then linking various treatises on the areas flora and fauna while creating conspiracy theories on how loot algorithms are affected by equidae and camelidae flatulence. So he did us a favor actually.

A racial slur is the use of an offensive name to refer to another race. Typically they play on invalid stereotypes and degrading terms.

"Fuck Iran and the camel they rode in on".
And you referred Iranians as someone who would ride camels. This is invalid stereotype. It is like saying "Fuck Israel and the money they steal from us" or add any other country to this sentence and insult to the end(based on stereotype)

Yeah I dont see a slur there either...we have horses here in the US and if someone said "fuck U.S. and the horse we rode in on" it would make perfect biological sense to me and it certainly isn't a "slur". Plus, if he HAD said "horse" instead, all the nit-pickers on the forum would start screaming "OMG...they don't have horse in Iran, CHOPPER whats up? MY loot SUX and your saying Iran has horses? WTF? You work for MA and ND SUXXX WAHHH"...and then linking various treatises on the areas flora and fauna while creating conspiracy theories on how loot algorithms are affected by equidae and camelidae flatulence. So he did us a favor actually.

That's exactly what was going thru my mind!!

maybe MA see it as we cant have iranians buying iron or lyst from americans at twin, :D

Fuck Iran and the camel they rode in on
:yup:

Derogatory

As is this

That's exactly what was going thru my mind!!

You say something (i.e. initial comment) then fail to stand by your words. If you really believe in something shouldn't you stand up for what you believe in rather than play word/mind games?

Derogatory

That word pretty much Choppers actions. Arguments about camels and horses aside, the comment was simply uncalled for on any level.

He'll have some time to consider what he writes on this forum.

And frankly, Mary Jane almost took a forum nap for his comments too.

I thought political threads weren't allowed?... can't be bov'd to check :) the flawless bertha bot starts political discussion?

News Bot is simply a news scraper. It found the word Entropia in a news article and tah-dah. Thread. Link.

But yes, the subject matter is real-world and no reason to stay open

:locked:

Status
Back