***WoF 2010 Suggestions and Stuff***

The final is "World of Firepower" and I don't think killing snables for so many points fits the event.

Thanks Casay for pointing out how much we all were hanging on luck factor in the final. I'm sure Hurrikane willl give it into consideration and make the WOF even better next time.

I'm also hoping the organizer to include strategies for effective use of car in the next WOF. At this point i can think of selective killing of a mob (malcruentor) in an area with other mobs (ambu and Osseo).

I'm also hoping the organizer to include strategies for effective use of car in the next WOF. At this point i can think of selective killing of a mob (malcruentor) in an area with other mobs (ambu and Osseo).

There was nothing to stop anyone using cars in the Final. Infact, I believe some people did. ;) I don't think anyone should HAVE to use a car though, so why should the organisers plan this in? Participants of WoF are free to interpret Hurri's madess however they please and plan/strategise accordingly to whatever method suits their team the best.

I can say that this wof overall went a TON better than before. TY! :yay:

My only real issue is the final round coming down to one noob mob that rarely globals. That just doesn't seem fair or right to the teams that make it to the end. There were two many points for that mob and doesn't really need a 'strategy' as it's all luck. There's enough luck involved to have it come down to that. 125 points for one snable? How many more points would have been scored had the 3 teams not been on that mob for hours praying ??

The final is "World of Firepower" and I don't think killing snables for so many points fits the event.

I want to echo Casay's sentiment here. It was one thing to have faucervix in an early round that was very difficult to global on. It still kinda sucked to have dozens of mid-level hunters desperately killing noob mobs to no effect, but at least it was a shared experience we could all laugh about later. In the final, it's just not funny anymore.

I get (and support) the idea of a challenge to get the bonus mob, and don't think they should be leviathan all the time. Maybe if the bonus mob just wasn't required for the sweep, that would solve the issue?

I'm not sure the best way to handle it, but I do know that it would have been awful hard to recruit support for next year's WoF without that one lucky snable.

Aside from that, I agree that this year's WoF was absolutely wonderful! The support mobs provided some interesting challenges and we saw different teams trying out different strategies as a result--that's nice to see. RayneJade took the charts, etc. to a new level as well, which kept the fun alive between matches.

Maybe if the bonus mob just wasn't required for the sweep, that would solve the issue?

That's good and easy solution :) Or at least the bonus mob be something that can score points a bit more than a snable or other low level mob.

I'd kinda like to see more mobs for the support sweep overall as would make for more strategy, ones that can global though and /or also like you suggested - bonus mob not be part of sweep.

I can say that this wof overall went a TON better than before. TY! :yay:

The support team mobs were much much better and allowed for those teams to at least make some peds. We lost so many people in a previous year due to the mollisks three events in a row. The change was appreciated.

Anyway - I do like and understand the point limit of support teams during the matches. I think that has leveled out the field a bunch and let a lot of countries compete. It may take one team 1 hour or another 3 hours but still same amount of points.

My only real issue is the final round coming down to one noob mob that rarely globals. That just doesn't seem fair or right to the teams that make it to the end. There were too many points for that mob and doesn't really need a 'strategy' as it's all luck. There's enough luck involved to have it come down to that. 125 points for one snable? How many more points would have been scored had the 3 teams not been on that mob for hours praying ??

I hope this is given serious consideration and that the final teams in the future don't have to deal with something like this. All teams put to much time, effort and peds into all of this to lose to total luck and not strategy + the luck that's already involved.

I'd rather see more total mobs in the final that have a good chance to global for a sweep than just one mob weighted so heavily. There would be more strategy to it then if anything. No one mob should be worth that much... not in the final. :(

Just my .02....

You guys did an awesome job this year and ty for all the hard work!!!

ROCK ON WOF... and USA ....of course ;)

I see what you're saying. When you put it as "125 points for one snable" it does seem..... irregular.

I'm giving this a lot of thought, don't really want to take the Bonus Mob out of the Sweep; some rounds the Bonus is easy and the 1 or 2 pointer is a bitch to score on, etc. It's not always the Bonus giving the problems. A possible solution (with hindsight) would have been to ask FPC for a Snable Stalker/Elite spawn for the purpose; much like the Sabakuma Creepers we had (of the Special Spawns that caused so much controversy, those, along with the Bug Swarm, worked:)).

Thanks for the feedback, this is an issue that will get addressed. It was impossible not to notice that a snable held the match in it's slimy tentacles; however wonderful it was for the player who got it (only slightly more wonderful than for the opposing team player who got the first one), the balance seemed 'off'.

Just out of interest; Would bugs for the final have made more sense? Or were they harder to global on than the snables? With less teams trying for them maybe it's hard to tell.

Wouldn't mind opinions on all the Moblists this year, favourites, most hated, standout mobs, mobs you wanted but weren't there... next year's the 5th anniversary and we have to make it special:)

Hurrikane

I see what you're saying. When you put it as "125 points for one snable" it does seem..... irregular.

I'm giving this a lot of thought, don't really want to take the Bonus Mob out of the Sweep; some rounds the Bonus is easy and the 1 or 2 pointer is a bitch to score on, etc. It's not always the Bonus giving the problems. A possible solution (with hindsight) would have been to ask FPC for a Snable Stalker/Elite spawn for the purpose; much like the Sabakuma Creepers we had (of the Special Spawns that caused so much controversy, those, along with the Bug Swarm, worked:)).

Thanks for the feedback, this is an issue that will get addressed. It was impossible not to notice that a snable held the match in it's slimy tentacles; however wonderful it was for the player who got it (only slightly more wonderful than for the opposing team player who got the first one), the balance seemed 'off'.

Just out of interest; Would bugs for the final have made more sense? Or were they harder to global on than the snables? With less teams trying for them maybe it's hard to tell.

Wouldn't mind opinions on all the Moblists this year, favourites, most hated, standout mobs, mobs you wanted but weren't there... next year's the 5th anniversary and we have to make it special:)
Hurrikane

Thanks for understanding the overall situation that happened during the finals.

This year, I think it was easier to retain people throughout the events since the support mobs did give the support teams the opportunity to make peds. This was key this year and I think the numbers from Rayne speak for themselves on that. Please don't change that and always have a decent mob or two every week for support. There's already a limit on # of points so it's not like support can outscore the main teams.

The special mobs are always great and also bring more people into the event. I'd agree that asking MA to make them as needed for the events is a good idea. That may have solved the snable problem. But again, as you said about the bugs, it's hard to compare when it comes to a final as there's less teams overall. There's a huge difference between difficult to score (Cautaturgus) and almost impossible to score mobs like the faux and snable without MA making special mobs for us.

I really enjoyed the mobs this year and nothing really stands out so badly like the mollisks did last year. There were low and mid level mobs, like bristlehogs and small furors that allowed many newer players to team up and go for. They had a lot of fun during the event and it gave them a chance to kill mobs they might not have been able to in their own societies or in general due to trust issues.

For the final - I'll state again as in my first post: I'd like to see the 'noob' mob taken out of it. It's the final and there's already to much luck involved. I'd love to see mobs that are around in high numbers at all levels and none that are limited, slow re-spawning etc.

In the final I'd like to see more mobs for the spree for support. Mobs that have a good chance to global, just more of them overall. That would take more than luck and involve some pretty good strategy for the support teams. There is a lot of strategy to WOF overall and it does separate the teams heading toward the top. Again, it helps to remove / level out the overall luck that's already a part of the event.

So, in conclusion - if you want to continue it as it is, then yes, asking MA for the specialty mobs is greatly needed. Would it have helped during the final? Don't know for sure but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.

Thanks so much again for understanding the situation the final teams were put in to. I'm very glad we won so I'm able to write this and not sound like a whiner that lost. This was something we realized would happen before the final. USA even had a 'bounty' on the snable paid to the player that got it prior to the event. We realized it was 125 points and critical. I'm sure Russia and even Dach's would have appreciated more time on the other mobs too than so much on the snable in the finals.

Rock on WOF!!!

Last edited:

So, in conclusion - if you want to continue it as it is, then yes, asking MA for the specialty mobs is greatly needed.

We dont have too great experience of special MA WoF spawns though!
Its because:
- They has always come late so noone can practice.
- It has had mobs that few know how to hunt.
- MA has not yet understood how many players come on a WoF match day! :)

But this can be better next year of course! :)

Looking at it objectively, one could say whichever mob-type was the last to global for a team earned the value of the sweep. Granted, Snable was a difficult mob to global on. There are instances throughout WoF history where teams have not always achieved the sweep bonus, or even full variety for that matter. There are just as many cases where the bonus mob was one of the first to pop swirls.

Finalists should, in my opinion, be ready for damn near anything. It is a tough road to get to the Finals. Just because a team gets there, they should not expect to camp Atrox for 3 hours and win. I am not saying any team did this, nor am I trying to minimize any frustration any team or player may have felt. Just saying that the title of WoF Champion is not handed out - it is absolutely earned.

Hurrikane is not a sadist, nor am I. I admit we do get a smile when we think of players like Star hunting Snables... but I think anyone would. Time will tell if Snables make in on the Main Team mob list ;)

Casay stated:
I'm sure Russia and even Dach's would have appreciated more time on the other mobs too than so much on the snable in the finals.

Not picking on Casay here... but a team must consider the pros and cons of any strategy when going into a WoF hunt. Is it worth sending 5 people from support to get Snables when they would probably be able to get the points on Atrax or Itumatrox? Granted, that 100 points for the sweep is a nice bonus, and as we saw can be the reason a team wins. Those 100 points are supposed to be exactly that: tempting and rewarding at the same time. A team that does make the choice to dedicate members to Snables will certainly have a better chance of getting rewarded than a team that did not, and rightly so. All the time of course the clock is ticking. Those team members on Snables are obviously not getting points on Atrax and Itumatrox... pros and cons again.

Again, I understand why it appears that 125 points for a Snable seemed strange... but in this case it was simply the last mob-type to global. But can anyone argue that a team dedicated to getting that Snable should not be awarded 125 points for sticking to it for almost 3 hours?

Again, I am not saying any team gave up on Snables... I am quite certain more Snables died on that day than any other in recent EU history.

I think that the bonus mob in the finals was not good for representing the true champions of WoF. After all that we went through all season, if we'd lost due to not being able to have a lucky global on Snables, we'd have lost. The time and effort involved in WoF shouldn't come down to such an easily killed mob which requires nothing more than luck. That's just my opinion.

America F#$% Yeah!

Don't hunt Shoti's Proteron LA. ;)

Thoughts from a first-year WOF participant

If you do a search for the team "USA WOF 2010 Support Team NBK" on the lovely tracker site, You'll find this:

Snablesnot-Female Alpha 92 PED Saturday, June 26, 2010 20:48

Now, I was camped out on them with fellow soc members until that one hit . . a bare 12 minutes before the final, when the ONLY other swirls was from DACH about an hour earlier. That approximate hour between theirs and ours was one of the most demoralizing time I spent hunting for Team USA this year. Personally, I'm inclined to agree that it was a little cruel to have them as a bonus mob for 125 (or 150 if we had good luck charms up our @$$es), but I also have to say that when it hit, I was floored. 2 minutes to regroup in Argus, and then a mad rush for the final 10 on Atrax and Longu, and WOF ended in an adrenaline rush that was beyond words. Thinking about it still gives me tingles, along with that fabulous SCAR prize WHICH I LOVE! :ahh:

. . .

The only hunt I missed was the semi's, so I don't really know how those mobs played out, but I was a bug-swatter for Round 3.x and while I got bad loot, it was fun testing my skill limits when I was swarmed by the bigguns. That being said, I don't really have any complaints about the moblists. They seem balanced enough, and provide a reasonable challenge for main and support teams to execute.

I like that WOF is closely tied with MA/FPC with mob spawns, and while they do tend to show up right before the events, I don't think they've failed to impress this year. As for suggestions, maybe get some Longtooth or Eomon on a moblist? Or monstrous versions of more common mobs, like elite Feffoid/Atrox (queens anyone?) or mutated Chirpy?

Overall, I'm very impressed with everything this year that WOF brought to the table, and can't wait for next year. If I'm still in the game, you can bet that I'll be out there somewhere, hunting for points. Hurrikane, RJ, and everyone else, bravo for a contest well executed.

. . .

Oh, and there's this point Star mentioned.

Don't hunt Shoti's Proteron LA. ;)

We'll wait and see what happens with that little fiacso, but that's not a discussion for here (though he is no longer NBK) . . . I DO think Proterons should be considered for a moblist next year. Maybe on support, so the big guns will want to be on support, giving some others a chance to step up into the main-team game and show what they can do.

Looking at it objectively, one could say whichever mob-type was the last to global for a team earned the value of the sweep. Granted, Snable was a difficult mob to global on.

Finalists should, in my opinion, be ready for damn near anything. It is a tough road to get to the Finals. Just because a team gets there, they should not expect to camp Atrox for 3 hours and win. I am not saying any team did this, nor am I trying to minimize any frustration any team or player may have felt. Just saying that the title of WoF Champion is not handed out - it is absolutely earned.

Hurrikane is not a sadist, nor am I. I admit we do get a smile when we think of players like Star hunting Snables... but I think anyone would. Time will tell if Snables make in on the Main Team mob list ;)

Not picking on Casay here... but a team must consider the pros and cons of any strategy when going into a WoF hunt.

Again, I am not saying any team gave up on Snables... I am quite certain more Snables died on that day than any other in recent EU history.

It seems that Hurrikane understands what we're trying to say here and will make adjustments accordingly. There is NO strategy to camp a non-globaling mob for 3 hours. It's all luck.. and I've said over and over and as Star is saying... this is WOF and it shouldn't come down to that. Yes, it should be earned, but not on that kind of mob... not in the FINAL ;) Again, there's enough luck involved anyway. It's no fun that way. As Coop I think mentioned - it would have been hell to recruit for next year had we lost out to not getting 1 snable. I'm sure other teams are demoralized a bit by this too.

This is no place for 'games' or sadistic things against any of the teams. We support Wof because we love it. Not to be 'played' with. Sorry, but your statement comes across as such for your own amusement. I know you don't mean it. Was probably best not said. Maybe you can go through and read my two posts more closely. I'm making suggestions here to try to help WOF be better as are other people. My post is about the FINAL and not about WOF overall this year as the changes he's made have been awesome.

Yes, I know all about strategy. I've been on the USA main team for 3 years and support only in 07. Yes, it's been frustrating at times but every year it's gotten better.

We're here to compete, have fun and represent our countries. It ROCKS! Over time Hurrikane has made it a lot better by listening to the suggestions after it is over. His listening and making changes is why there were so many players out for support this year compared to all that quit midway through last year due to the mollisks. This is another needed change in the finals.

Glad Hurrikane gets it :) Can't wait to see the special spawns! :cool:

I have to agree about that Snable. That was a lottery and it would be a real shame if the winner was decided with this one lucky global or lack of it. 125 points is much. That's 40+ on Itumatrox that you have to score on the top of all other globals. And it's hardly a matter of tactics when you can have your whole support on these critters for 3 hours and still walk away without a global. 3 very frustrating and expensive hours those would be. All big boys and girls chasing that global were pretty much shooting their ammo and decay into the air as this mob is a walking overkill.

But I'm not sure I want to see very comfortable mobs for support next year. Don't get me wrong, Phasm and big Furor were 2 mobs I enjoyed killing the most myself. But having something like this in the final where points cap doesn't exist would be like going to China to play football match against chinese team with unlimited amount of players allowed on the field :) USA would have no competition. I quite appreciate Hurricane's efforts to make it a little more unpredictable than that. I realize how hard it can be to find some kind of balance here.

I was just offering another point of view that may not have been mentioned. There will obviously be different opinions about every mob list (there always are). Trust me - I get it.

Any competition which has points based on globals will always have a factor of luck involved. Some mobs global more frequently than others. There are countless loot theories out there, but no need to get into that.

la aurora said:
But I'm not sure I want to see very comfortable mobs for support next year. Don't get me wrong, Phasm and big Furor were 2 mobs I enjoyed killing the most myself. But having something like this in the final where points cap doesn't exist would be like going to China to play football match against chinese team with unlimited amount of players allowed on the field :) USA would have no competition.

Agreed. And there are many teams that can be used in place of USA in that quote. Balance and competition is extremely difficult to achieve.

Regarding special FPC-spawns... these were used last year. We saw Malcruentor Stalkers and Atrox Slayers... however, these spawns were introduced in such a way that teams simply positioned themselves in one spot and blasted away for 3 hours. Once the spawn was found (coords were even published) there was very little strategy involved other than picking a good armor and a high DPS weapon. At that point, some voiced the opinion that the team with the most PED would succeed... and I can see that argument. Does anyone think that is how a WoF Champion should be decided?

Rest assured... mob lists are not taken lightly. For the 2010 campaign, the mob lists for all 6 stages were being discussed and worked on long before the first qualifier was even annouced. I would certainly like to hear from teams like Wales, Scotland, Uzbekistan, South Africa, New Zealand, etc...

Balance and competition is extremely difficult to achieve.

I think you've done a great job on it this year overall. It's been an awesome season. The only 'issue' at all was a snable for the bonus mob in final. Pure luck, no strategy.

I don't think all the mobs should be easy and again, this last season I think was the most balanced, fun, and had more strategy due to the mobs than before.

Thanks! :)
Casay

I was waiting for a WoF 2011 suggestions thread, but seeing as people seem to be posting in this one for now, I might as well do it too :)

Here’s my radical suggestion for WoF 2011 – there should be no WoF 2011. WoF should be every two years, not annually.

Many of the teams, big and small, this year (and to a lesser extent in 2009) suffered from WoF Fatigue. For those of us who engage most fully with WoF, it’s a big commitment for several months of the year, and it’s hard to keep up enthusiasm for it. I believe many people decided not to bother this year because of that.

In England’s case we had a lot of people who just didn’t want to take part this year, including some who have been strong main team players in previous tournaments. As a result our main team was weaker and our support much less numerous than 2009 and especially 2008. I think the general feeling within our team is that we over-achieved in reaching the semi-finals, given the relative weakness of our team compared to previous tournaments.

A lot of the other teams seemed to have a similar problem. Sweden had a strong team but I think it was quite different to the team of the last couple of years. Some of the smaller teams struggled to even pick a main 12. The reigning champions didn’t bother to enter a team at all.

It’s notable that many of the most successful teams this year were new or revitalised teams (DACH, Russia, Benelux) while those who have been around for a while struggled. Australia did well, but even though they’ve entered WoF regularly I view them as a quite new team since they only really became a strong force in 2009.

It seemed like USA were an exception and maintained good support numbers as well as a strong main team, and perhaps this was a key factor in their victory – or perhaps they also suffered from WoF Fatigue more than I realise.

If WoF were every two years I believe that most countries would be able to enter a stronger team due to greater enthusiasm and fewer people being reluctant to make the commitment of time and/or PEDs that’s required for a serious attempt at the WoF title.

Having the off-year would also give more scope for friendly matches, which is something that Hurrikane has mentioned before. I like the idea of having, say, 5 low-pressure friendly matches or mini-tournaments over the course of a year as preparation for the real deal the following year.

The way I see it, you can either have a good tournament every year, or a great one every two years, and given the choice if I were the organiser or just as a participant, I would prefer the latter.

I am very much looking forward to WoF 2012 :)

Waiting to see England in 2012, lol. WOF is a what 27 hours total game play a year if your team makes it to finals? Were talking 3 hours every 2 weeks what is that? if you can't make it and your on main team so what that is why their are 11 other members on main team. Work out a schedule up front or designate each week who will hunt according to mobs drawn.

I have to vote Annual for this event due to new players arriving all the time they wouldn't have a clue what is going on and it would be 2 years before they get to see it again?

I do see your point of view just not sure it would keep rolling after a 2 year break.

Waiting to see England in 2012, lol. WOF is a what 27 hours total game play a year if your team makes it to finals? Were talking 3 hours every 2 weeks what is that? if you can't make it and your on main team so what that is why their are 11 other members on main team. Work out a schedule up front or designate each week who will hunt according to mobs drawn.

I can assure you that I and many others in the England squad spend a lot more than 3 hours every 2 weeks on WoF :)

I was waiting for a WoF 2011 suggestions thread, but seeing as people seem to be posting in this one for now, I might as well do it too :)

Here’s my radical suggestion for WoF 2011 – there should be no WoF 2011. WoF should be every two years, not annually.

Many of the teams, big and small, this year (and to a lesser extent in 2009) suffered from WoF Fatigue. For those of us who engage most fully with WoF, it’s a big commitment for several months of the year, and it’s hard to keep up enthusiasm for it. I believe many people decided not to bother this year because of that.

In England’s case we had a lot of people who just didn’t want to take part this year, including some who have been strong main team players in previous tournaments. As a result our main team was weaker and our support much less numerous than 2009 and especially 2008. I think the general feeling within our team is that we over-achieved in reaching the semi-finals, given the relative weakness of our team compared to previous tournaments.

A lot of the other teams seemed to have a similar problem. Sweden had a strong team but I think it was quite different to the team of the last couple of years. Some of the smaller teams struggled to even pick a main 12. The reigning champions didn’t bother to enter a team at all.

It’s notable that many of the most successful teams this year were new or revitalised teams (DACH, Russia, Benelux) while those who have been around for a while struggled. Australia did well, but even though they’ve entered WoF regularly I view them as a quite new team since they only really became a strong force in 2009.

It seemed like USA were an exception and maintained good support numbers as well as a strong main team, and perhaps this was a key factor in their victory – or perhaps they also suffered from WoF Fatigue more than I realise.

If WoF were every two years I believe that most countries would be able to enter a stronger team due to greater enthusiasm and fewer people being reluctant to make the commitment of time and/or PEDs that’s required for a serious attempt at the WoF title.

Having the off-year would also give more scope for friendly matches, which is something that Hurrikane has mentioned before. I like the idea of having, say, 5 low-pressure friendly matches or mini-tournaments over the course of a year as preparation for the real deal the following year.

The way I see it, you can either have a good tournament every year, or a great one every two years, and given the choice if I were the organiser or just as a participant, I would prefer the latter.

I am very much looking forward to WoF 2012 :)

WoF 2012. Rubbish :scratch2: By that time barring the few Committed WoF players you would have to start all over again to get ppl to commit to WoF. Interest would be lost and it would be the same task to get all players to understand and to get to know what WoF is really about.

See the post below by Wildman.

Why WoF sorta failed (This Year) in the commitment by many players can be put down to the current situation brought on by the introduction of the new VU and all its problems. Old players and not so old (3m years here) are disenchanted by basically the many changes that have been implemented since August last year. MA seem to have this forgotten the players who currently pay their wages and seem to be targeting the unknown (New player base or whatever one would like to call it) Whoops digressing here.
What I mean to say is a lot of of players (previous WoFFers) for one reason or the other did not make the commitment to WoF this year.

Australia did well, but even though they’ve entered WoF regularly I view them as a quite new team since they only really became a strong force in 2009.

True without counting as I am only in my second year and only a noob to WoF. I did see only a commitment by a dedicated few ( please dont take offence to you our newcomers to Aussie WoF this year) it was only a small dedicated few that got us to the position we finished in.

I have to vote Annual for this event due to new players arriving all the time they wouldn't have a clue what is going on and it would be 2 years before they get to see it again?

I do see your point of view just not sure it would keep rolling after a 2 year break.

Rather than a 2 year break there should be some interim event to keep ppl interested in WoF ( a monumental task maybe) Again a dedicated few, Hurrikane and his FEW dedicated helpers etc should not be the ones to instigate any thing like this. They dedicate their time an effort enough as it is.
I am fully against the introduction of such a long break between WoF's and would rather see a concentrated effort by all the keen WoFFers to keep the ball rolling by in between WoF events.

Edit

Havent had the time to read the previous posts and if I have written something here out of context sry I will endeavour to clarify at a later time (long and winning night at Darts Yea :yay::beerchug: too many :)

Last edited:
WoF 2012. Rubbish :scratch2: By that time barring the few Committed WoF players you would have to start all over again to get ppl to commit to WoF. Interest would be lost and it would be the same task to get all players to understand and to get to know what WoF is really about.

With friendly events running in between a biennial WoF proper, there would be more continuity than there is now, not less.

I don't buy your points about VU10 at all. As I said in my post above, the WoF Fatigue factor began in 2009, before the update. Many of the people who didn't join WoF are still playing and hunting just as much as they used to - they're just not doing it in WoF.

I can assure you that I and many others in the England squad spend a lot more than 3 hours every 2 weeks on WoF :)

Sry for double posting but while I agree to Wildmans posting above I did not really look at the time factor of it.

To participate in WoF has nothing to do with the 3 hrs every second week.

The dedicated woffer spends many many hours of reconnaissance, preparation, liasing with team members etc. it is virtually a full time job (in part) for 3 or 4 months of the year involving many many hours.

This is as Oleg said

However for those who want to make the commitment it is part of our enjoyment in our participation in this bloody addictive game.

With friendly events running in between a biennial WoF proper, there would be more continuity than there is now, not less.

I don't buy your points about VU10 at all. As I said in my post above, the WoF Fatigue factor began in 2009, before the update. Many of the people who didn't join WoF are still playing and hunting just as much as they used to - they're just not doing it in WoF.

3rd tripple posting major sry's

Sorry to about the 'rubbish' bit Oleg.

You have some valid points even if I do not agree with some of them.

As I did say I am a WoF noob.

I suppose regarding the VU10 I was speaking more about my personal interaction with certain players ( a few admittedly) and our own Aussie team and sort of generalised. However, I do believe that it was one of the circumstances that did cause a reduction in a reduced player base in some of the countries woffers. ((This Year))

Definetly I gota go to bed :D

Many of the people who didn't join WoF are still playing and hunting just as much as they used to - they're just not doing it in WoF.

I think the main reason some of the dedicated people didn't play this season was due more to the mobs in previous seasons. Many many people quit in the middle last year due to the huge losses. I don't blame them. No one wants to hunt for 3 hours on mobs like mollisks for 3 rounds. To top it off, on that mob, it appeared that MA had lowered the drop of teeth. However it happened, there were no teeth dropping. That also made a lot of people upset and they left.

Hurrikane really worked hard this year to prevent that from happening again. Every week there was a least a couple of mobs that support could score points on as well as have the possibility of getting decent returns. This brought back some people to the USA support teams anyway. Also, more people came and tried it out since there were decent mobs to hunt. This was and is key to keeping the interest going and they realize it.

I won't mention names of teams but I do know there are people that were on main teams last year and not this year due to personality conflicts and problems they had the previous season. Some teams had less support because, well, they weren't 'paying' them like before.

So, overall I don't think having it every two years is a solution. Again, Hurrikane addressed the worst problem; bad mobs. There's nothing WOF can do to settle the personal problems of the teams.

Yes, it takes time, effort, recon and coordination. It shouldn't be like a full time job though for anyone. If it is, well, I'd have to wonder about the leadership and their organizational capabilities. If people go out before hand and hunt the mobs, that's their choice to do so or not and doesn't have to be a part of it at all.

There were 23 teams this round and serious competition all of the way through. I honestly think that the rounds and mobs were better than ever this season. It's up to the teams though, not WOF to recruit as many people leave the game, have conflicts irl and don't forget.. no peds due to lost jobs to toss around for something extra like WOF.

Just my .02 on it. See ya next year!
Rock on! :)

I'd vote for keeping the WoF every year.

Why? Because all of the friends I made this year.

I don't know about others, but my FL was rather decimated by the leadup to and implementation of VU9. It was great to make so many new friends among people who are in a similar skill range and time zone.

I can see Oleg's point--making it biennial probably would help get the best from each country for each WoF. But at least in my view, WoF is more about making friends, exploring new mobs, hunting at a higher level, etc. than it is about "who's the best country". But then again I stayed away from WoF before because I didn't want nationalism to get in the way of my international EU friendships.

In that light, maybe it's a good thing if every country doesn't bring its A-game each year. Maybe having a competition where a first-timer like Russia has a chance to go all the way is a good thing.

Many of the teams, big and small, this year (and to a lesser extent in 2009) suffered from WoF Fatigue.

I don't think you have got the reasons right. There is usually another reason why people don't like to participate and it's not fatigue.

Look at it this way these people still logged on and hunted as you admitted but just not in wof. Now if wof was perfect would they do that? i think not.

Anyway I'll wait until the proper 2011 suggestions thread is made to put forward some improvements.

The suggestion by Oleg, to do WOF every 2 years with small competitions, is one I would follow. This year was my first year at wof, but the 5 months of pure dedication had worn me out totally. I was busy with WOF at least 1 hour each day, with more hours in the weekneds and up to 5-6 hours on Match days, at the end, it began to get a bit painful. ;)

Now, why do I support Oleg's idea? Look at WOF as the World cup...which is only played every 4 years....but in between (also every 4 years) there still is the European Championship.
In this setting WOF would be perfect....
Even years: WOF Full throttle: Our beloved 5-6 month battle
Uneven years: WOF Winter Competition: 1 or 2 month battle in January/February/March

This would allow players to tak more rest and still also allow for friendly matches in between. Keeping the circus running and the people motivated, but also offering the chance to take some time off.

just my .02 ped

Firstly, perhaps WoF should happen every two years, rather than annually.

Is it possible that the lesser numbers of teams taking part this year is because people within the game are "WoF fatigued"?

If in a non-WoF year teams want to hunt as nations then perhaps they can have friendly hunts against other like-minded nations to a set of unified rules, or perhaps mini-tournaments.

Meanwhile, nations for who funding might be a problem get time to get their finances together during an "off" year.

I posted this over a year ago. It's on page 2 or 3 (can't remember now) of this thread.

Hallelujah! Someone else agrees that less is more.

I don't think you have got the reasons right. There is usually another reason why people don't like to participate and it's not fatigue.
I can't speak for everyone but in my case he's nailed the reason. It was WOF fatigue.

Hunting three hours at a time on specified mobs that might be out of your league, more often than not costing more peds than normal. And it has to be at a pre-arranged time while fitting it RL and ped-flow.

But if the organisers really want to know why people didn't take part then maybe they should ask those who stayed away. I can't imagine it would be that difficult. Each nation has its own dedicated section on EF. Maybe team captains could look through the sub-forum memberships to pick out who hasn't taken part this year, then PM them a short questionnaire.

Back