Info: Guidelines for Honorable PVP

Kuber

Guardian
Society
Calypso Rescue Team
[size=+2]GUIDELINES FOR HONORABLE PVP[/size]

[size=+1]When You Are the Predator[/size]

1. Try not to be an obsessive kill stealer.
  2. If you choose to kill a target before it has finished its current mob, you might want to either ignore the mob at which they were shooting or wait until it has regained its full health before attacking it.
  3. In PVP Land Areas or when a revival terminal is within the PVP zone, do not camp the revival terminal and keep killing the target. If they are not engaging you after they revive, give them an avenue to escape the LA so that they aren't trapped. If the target keeps reviving and coming after you, you're entitled to keep killing them.

[size=+1]When You Are the Prey[/size]

1. It's just a game.
  2. If you are in a lootable PVP zone, you're most likely going to die. Every second you remain in the zone, your chance of dying goes up.
  3. You are in a PVP area, as you well know. People can kill you and perhaps even loot your stackable items. If you do not want to be killed or do not want or cannot afford to lose your stackables and toxic shot (in lootable PVP), you should turn around and leave the PVP zone immediately.
  4. If you would like to signal to other Green Dots (GDs) on your radar that you are not hostile, figure out which direction they are moving and move in the opposite direction so they know you are giving them clearance. If they are still moving towards you, they may be hostile. You can either try to signal your non-aggression, retreat or keep trying to avoid them, or equip your weapon and prepare to do battle.
  5. If you're engaged with a mob and a GD approaches, you have no guarantee that they won't kill you before the mob is dead. Keep an eye on them and if they come at you, figure out whether you're going to try to finish the mob or take care of them first. If you have a GD on your radar, you may not want to engage a mob until they have left. Remember they can see when you engage a mob, and may use that opportunity to attack.
  6. If you have been PK'ed, complaining or insulting them is really out of line. You knew the risks and you chose to remain there anyway. In lootable PVP, you even paid 5.10 peds for the privilege. The more inappropriate your "response" is to the original PK, the worse things could become for both you and anyone associated with you, such as your society.
  7. If you have been PK'ed by another player, you are perfectly entitled to hustle back out to the scene of the event and return the favor. You may want to consider the predator guidelines.
  8. It is generally understood that PVP involves teams sometimes locking down a certain zone, such as a particular mob spawn, or an Event spawn, or areas like the oil rig. This should generally be expected and counted on as an inherent part of the game's PVP element.
  9. You are free to run around or bypass any PVP zone within which you do not wish to participate.
  10. If after reading and accepting guidelines 1 through 9 you are still upset enough to file a support case, write down the details of what happened and collect your evidence and then wait a day or two. Just let it sit there. If you're still as upset or more and still believe it warrants filing a support case, go ahead and do it.

______

A few links to some similar threads and more comprehensive resources.

Rules for PVP (by Thanatos)
EU PVP Beginner's Guide (by LetumLatro)

Last edited:
I thought it might be nice to have a positive thread that just focuses on simple guidelines for ways that you can legitimately PK without ruining someone else's experience of the game.

It would be great if people could suggest their own guidelines based on their own experiences (either good or bad) in PVP and I will collect them all in a single list. As the list grows longer I'll probably divide it into various sections like General Areas, Land Areas, Player Vendettas, etc.

If you disagree with suggested guidelines, feel free to voice your opinion as to why.

The point is to post honorable suggestions that will meet MA/FPC's criteria for legitimate PVP, and individual players can choose to follow them or not based on their own ethical nature. Please do not use this thread to voice personal issues with other players.

Hopefully this will end the confusion and help to make PVP a fun part of the game again without any cloudy expectations getting in the way. And if MA/FPC personnel can comment, more's the welcome.
_____

A Few Caveats
Some personality types won't ever take PVP very well. There isn't much that can be done about this group. People running around in PVP areas who get very upset when they become a target aren't being rational.

The last caveat is that some or all of these guidelines may all end up suspended during an Event in a PVP zone. Complaining about kill stealing during the Wastelander event, for example, would have been a rather futile gesture, in fact, in that event, kill stealing a Wastelander was the entire point.

Everyone's guidelines may end up different. Until we get MA/FPC's dictated list of approved or disapproved methods, I think we can establish a few simple guidelines that keep PVP going strong without it becoming a suspicious crapshoot. What do you think?

Last edited:
Now that you have taken the time to do this, which for the most part is a very "nice" way of handeling PVP.

Shall we take the time to make a thread on how to honorably get PK'd?

It seems that this is just as much of an issue as how the Pker behaves..agree?

We could, or could add them both together. Obviously a big one would be, "Ultimately, it's just a game."

Did you have some others in mind?

1. Aim.
2. Shoot
3. ????
4. Profit

You can reduce all of it to one guideline, the same guideline that applies to any aspect of EU and of real life (and, yes, EF).

Guideline No. 1: "Don't be a twat".

Whilst these might be appropriate guidelines for honourable PvP, it's important to not confuse that with the only acceptable guidelines of PvP. It's controversial as to whether these are they same thing, i.e. kill stealing.

I'm not saying that kill stealing is ok, I'm definately not saying it's honourable. I'm saying there's plausibly a difference between it being ok and it being honourable and that should be kept in mind before complaining that someone broke the guidelines.

Guidelines for honorable PKing?

I can't believe this is an issue, if you DON'T want to die - DON'T go into PVP.

I've been PK'ed while engaged with a mob, or digging up a claim. I didn't get pissy about it because I accepted the risk upon entering PVP.

I've been PK'ed while engaged with a mob, or digging up a claim. I didn't get pissy about it because I accepted the risk upon entering PVP.

seconded.

I've read the other recent threads, and concluded that while hunting or mining in a pvp area, I should accept the fact other players enjoy the PK aspect of the game.

How the fuck then, do I NOT go into Pvp when running from a la to a tp?

I mean consider this please.

I have to get to those l.a's right?

Means going across area's of PvP.

I dont CHOOSE PvP.. its just the terrain!!

You rekon those land area owners will thank you for my interupted visit? :laugh:

Its PvP is it???

NOT just a way to get to a Land Area?

This is why we are propsing that MA draws a clear line or perhaps remove these random PVP areas, as to not cause anymore arguments.

IMO removing places as you have mentioned would be for the best so there is no question as to what is expected from either opposition.

How the fuck then, do I NOT go into Pvp when running from a la to a tp?

I mean consider this please.

I have to get to those l.a's right?

Means going across area's of PvP.

I dont CHOOSE PvP.. its just the terrain!!

You rekon those land area owners will thank you for my interupted visit? :laugh:

Its PvP is it???

NOT just a way to get to a Land Area?

Thats temporarily, once MF is brought back you won't have to worry about that.

My reply was in regards to normal game play, where you are more than likely running through designated PVP zones (ie: going to the rig).

The majority of people complaining about being PK'ed is from the rig area - and honestly you can't go there and expect to live. Thats ignorant lol

Obviously this isn't quite turning out how I expected. A few voices aside, I think there's probably a majority of players that wouldn't mind a few simple courtesies that would help everybody get maximum enjoyment from their time playing, as well as obviously not excessively harrassing MA/FPC's customers, which they seem to frown on.

I'd still be interested in hearing any guidelines that others may have.

Again, as I stated in my follow-up note, this isn't supposed to become some immutable codex of laws to set up an in-game courtroom. It's simply a few easy guidelines that, if you're looking to play while not making other people miserable, are really easy to follow and don't detract at all from your own game experience.

Open for suggestions, either guidelines for attacking in PVP or being attacked in PVP...

Thanks for taking the time to come up with a set of guidelines...civility in virtual life is much appreciated as in real life :)

The OP could have made the post alot shorter, direct and easier for MA to regulate by only having one rule....

1. What happens in PvP stays in Pvp - enter completely at own risk. No support from MA will be given for disputes as this is an area designed for hostile encounters.

Enter at own risk!

I guess if we read the EULA there's nothing about Harassment in PvP areas :scratch2:. I guess, need to read it :deal:

a PvP area should be a freestyle killing zone, but i guess it's at least nice to exist some rules.

(like let him kill and loot the mob first, or don't kill him at revival, etc... as you said)

But one thing is sure, if you are hunting, mining (or crafting :silly2: ) in a PvP area, don't be a bitch, because you are going to DIE

Usually in war there's no gentleman guidlines, Napoleon Bonaprt is an example, he disregarded all gentleman rules (that existed at his time) and start conquering Europe :sniper:

But since this is a RCE. maybe some rules, especially from FPC, should come about PvP

Thats temporarily, once MF is brought back you won't have to worry about that.

My reply was in regards to normal game play, where you are more than likely running through designated PVP zones (ie: going to the rig).

The majority of people complaining about being PK'ed is from the rig area - and honestly you can't go there and expect to live. Thats ignorant lol

Your attitude has been noted. Have a nice day :)

Open for suggestions, either guidelines for attacking in PVP or being attacked in PVP...

{excerpt from Aesop's Fables}
The Hares and the Lions

THE HARES harangued the assembly, and argued that all should be equal. The Lions made this reply: “Your words, O Hares! are good; but they lack both claws and teeth such as we have.”

As I said I can only find it fair that MA makes some kind of effort to remove any PVP that people are FORCED to enter to take part of normal gameplay.
Such as running to or from revies or TP's.
However, if a participant willingly goes into a pvp zone they should know that they have the risk of being shot.
We have all done it or at least thought about it. You were mining on cnd and Joe Schmoe runs right to the huge area of atrox you just cleared out so you could drop bombs and he runs right past you dropping his own. Your light is yellow....what do you do?

These guildlines have nothing to do with either of the other 2 threads, the guy who had the "bounty" got it for his poor behavior and attitude.

I am a firm believer in PVP being PVP, so get over it....BUT you dont have to be an asshat either.
The majority of people know when they are crossing the line and they know the diff of someone trying to get to a TP and someone just trying to be up in your business while you hunt/mine.

Same goes, IMO for the guy being PK'd.
Too many times that miner has came back to cuss me not even having the slightest clue that what he was doing was extremely rude.
IMO if you are in a PVP area you should try to bear some manners. Perhaps try not to enter the persons smaller radar. Rifle range imo is too close.
If you do get up in their business and you get killed or attacked, please take it with dignity. Dont whine, cry, or send support cases to MA.
If you took the energy you spent on whining and used it to perhaps...go around that person... you might have gotten to your destination already.

manners ey? so shooting someone in the back and ksing there mob? ofc i dont know the full story of the events that took place to cause these threads. however ive had people do that to me before and its not very nice concidering i wasnt anywhere near them.

edit: ofcourse for pvp4 things are different since loot is involved etc.

Last edited:
No you dont and thats not what this thread is for.

If we start discussing his lies again this will quicky turn into another flame thread and im sure that isnt the intention of the OP.

No one will know the full truth of that story so it doesnt really matter anymore.
But now we have other issues at hand because of the way MA handled it and I think if MA isnt going to do it than perhaps the community can try to come together to share their thoughts on how PVP should be handled.

The attempt is filled with honor :D ... but

pvp is pvp, this means

1) no rules
2) kill the weaker (anytime you win, the other is the weaker one isn't it).

No honor in that, except for the kick killing the other and the anger when being killed multiple times in a row with the unability to drag the other one through the monitor to show him IRL :D

Atami

PS :

If there are rules, MA should implement them tbh.
I know more people getting temp locked for reasons which are not right.
They don't investigate.

Please remove the last postings from mojorisin since she's starting personal dispute again. At least one thread shall be able to keep on topic w/o any more abuse or harassment.

Some attitudes in regular PVP (not designated zones) I would suggest:

Be respectful to others and they will be respectful to you. This at least applies to 90%-95% of community.

Don't shoot others in back while they're in fight with a mob or extracting a claim, also not if they just want to pass by peacefully, for example when being with newer players on a TP run or cartographers mapping Amethera.

Generally shooting others in regular PvP (Amethera) is meaningless since you can't loot the person anyway, it just should be a method of defending yourself from gettin killstealed or harassed during a hunt. This harassment can be made by mobtrains or blocking the shooting lines like some people on Eudoria do from time to time.

Most people you may meet at a hunting spot in usual PvP follow these unwitten rules anyway, also helping others with fapping out when they see othrs in trouble with a mabe rare tougher spawn of a mob. At least, I do so and I know a lot of other people doing the same, grabbing the FAP if someone asks for help or is seen in a complicated situation.

Why need to be disrespectful or treaten others different than in a normal situation on Eudoria just because it is PVP, and then not even a special area; I can't understand this, only reason for such behaviour is trying to practice powers on others and disturb them doing so.

Usual PvP (so non-designated areas) are (as I see them) a remnant from old times when there was just amethera and no designated areas for PvP, therefore you should face other people there with respect as on any other place on Calypso and be helpful to each other. People are acting normal on whole Eudoria and Land Areas and when crossing them on PVP they suddenly act completely different, I somehow can't understand this. It's just like as they want to put pants down and show their penis with killing others practicing power on them, maybe shooting in back, maybe surprisingly jumping a gun on them. Who cares if he's "weaker" or not if the fight started with a shot in the back, what the PKer has from such behavior except of having pissed someone off? If both parties agree to a fair face to face fight, ofc it is ok, why not. But if one guy comes there in PK gear already jumping the gun, other guy in economic hunting gear or as miner maybe even unweaponed, what's the sense, honor or duty of such actions?

For people who want to pick fights all along, PvP 1,2,3,4 (two non-lootable, two lootable) were created, pitiful that you see more killing in old, in the meanwhile useless PvP, than in those areas.

Didnt post any names, dont be so paranoid :)

Thanks for your thoughts, that was my full intention...to keep this on track.

Didnt post any names, dont be so paranoid :)

Thanks for your thoughts, that was my full intention...to keep this on track.

You referred to me as liar again and we both know this.

You are the one making it public, if I think you are a liar and its just between you and me... then its all good :)

Your attitude has been noted. Have a nice day :)

Not sure what you mean by "my attitude", sounds like I should watch my back if I see you coming around :D

You are the one making it public, if I think you are a liar and its just between you and me... then its all good :)

Edit your posting from before that I don't feel offended and let the discussion go on. Can't see the issue there. Enough off topic now.

cduser actually brought up a very good, also if not new suggestion here:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/wishlist/166443-dueling.html#post2103027

Something that seriously should be considered from MA before players are making even more fuss about unclear situations, and situations seen from each individual person, maybe also because of cultural differences, in another way.

[SIZE=+2]GUIDELINES FOR HONORABLE PVP[/SIZE]

1. If you're preparing to PK and your target is currently engaged with a mob, line up your target and fire at will once you see the mob disappear (after the mob has been looted). If the target turns on you before the mob is dead, or before they have looted the carcass, you may fire at will.
  2. It's best not to kill a target before it has finished its current mob, but when it must be done, either ignore the mob at which they were shooting or wait until it has regained its full health before attacking it.
  3. In PVP Land Areas or when a revival terminal is within the PVP zone, do not camp the revival terminal and keep killing the target. If they are not engaging you after they revive, give them an avenue to escape the LA so that they aren't trapped. If the target keeps reviving and coming after you, you're entitled to keep killing them.
  4. It is generally understood that PVP involves teams sometimes locking down a certain zone, such as a particular mob spawn, or an Event spawn, or areas like the oil rig. As long as the previous guidelines are followed, this should generally be expected and counted on as an inherent part of the game.
LOL

In pvp there are no rules at all if you cant stand it leave.
KILL or BE KILLED that's THE QUESTION​

Edit your posting from before that I don't feel offended and let the discussion go on. Can't see the issue there. Enough off topic now.

When and if a Mod tells me to do so , I will.

You, however will not order me to do anything. Everything offends you so honestly I wouldnt know what to post.

Ive tried several times to keep this on topic, even being polite to you:rolleyes: so please, keep this on topic.

Unless it has to do with this thread, im finished wasting my time on you.

PVP=Live Fast--->Die Hard!!! No questions and no crying.

I have no desire to goto PVP zone, however the moment I can fly my ship over pvp zones I will be doing strafing runs at the top of every hour.
You will learn to fear the sound of Foxy's ship engines!!!

Back