Fair Random Drawling

HuntingN8

Stalker
Nathanial HuntingN8 Johnson
Hello community!

I am working on my next event idea and I have a problem. For this even I am going to end up with possibly having to have some fair way to randomly pick between a # of avatars. It might be between 2 and and could be as many as 20 or even more. So I'm looking for ideas on how this could be done fairly with no chance of ppl accusing me of rigging the outcome. This is Important and there will be quite a lot of peds at stake. And there is a good possibility that I will have a friend or two involved in the event. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks HuntingN8

If it is random, it is like a lottery, and in fact is gambling. Gambling is not allowed in the entropia universe, so what you want, is not possible.

If it is random, it is like a lottery, and in fact is gambling. Gambling is not allowed in the entropia universe, so what you want, is not possible.

No, It would be Gambling if you paid for it....Since nobody will be giving me ped it is not gambling. I will be giving it away. I just need a fair random way to do so. N8

You misunderstood, it's for a final draw at the end of an event, just like most other random draw events with screenies, which more than one exist atm. NOT buying lottery tickets and having a raffle :p

I think if you go to google and type in "random number genator" and giving each avatar a number and let's say there is 100 people. 1-100 an lets pick 20 of these 100. :)
There ya go :D

I think if you go to google and type in "random number genator" and giving each avatar a number and let's say there is 100 people. 1-100 an lets pick 20 of these 100. :)
There ya go :D

yes I could do that...or I could put their names in a hat and pull one. My problem is even though I trust myself, how to I "PROVE" that I didn't cheat? I need something that everyone can see and I can not control. N8

Edit- Just tried the Random # generator. Problem with this is I can press generate as many times as I would want... no way to prove I only pressed it once.

You want to be fair in entropia? Why are you not just dynamic? :D
Sorry...

You can work out a formula on drawn lottery in specified time.. If I remeber well someone did that way already and you can find it on EF.

Or put down some storage boxes in an apartman and let the potential winners choose one.

yes I could do that...or I could put their names in a hat and pull one. My problem is even though I trust myself, how to I "PROVE" that I didn't cheat? I need something that everyone can see and I can not control. N8

Edit- Just tried the Random # generator. Problem with this is I can press generate as many times as I would want... no way to prove I only pressed it once.

Video taping :D= youtube hahaha

You want to be fair in entropia? Why are you not just dynamic? :D
Sorry...

You can work out a formula on drawn lottery in specified time.. If I remeber well someone did that way already and you can find it on EF.

Or put down some storage boxes in an apartman and let the potential winners choose one.

I have considered the storage box idea... only problem again there is my involvement if I have a friend picking. I could just tell him to pick box 2 for instance and he would win...

or if you need to find a winner on that particular hour/day/week/month just use this site for example:
http://www.techzoom.net/tools/random-number-generator.en

get the number you need from it for a time period you want, remove the dashes and copy-paste it into the win(unix/linux/ubuntu/mac) calculator. Then you can either do mod like in mindstats tutorial above or simply keep clicking √ until you get the whole number that matches the first predesignated number assigned to your players

You could maybe use the box idea and use that live gaming service thingy Star uses to transmit the event live. Put the items in the boxes. Put the boxes in Inventory. Close inventory. Reopen.. move boxes around in inv. press the move to top icon and close again. Do this several times as MA mixes shit up in inventory like that all the time.

Do a few practice runs before so you can make sure they scramble when closing and opening inventory.

use lottery results and the modelo function to pick a winner.

for example:

51 contestants
number each contestant 0-50

when the winning lottery numbers are drawn on a pre-set day, take them and enter them into a scientific calculator, for our example they might be 4,19,25,37,43.

enter in 7,19,25,37, and 43 into a calculator one after the other, then hit the MOD function and then 51 (for the number of contestants)

the number that comes out, in this case is 32. So contestant number 32 would be the winner.

perfect way to do random winners, no flaws whatsoever.

Hi,

you might have every participant to guess a unique PED.PEC value between 50.00 and infinite, and to announce this number in chat.
The next HoF after the last guess is the "random number", and who's next, wins.

Might work.

Have fun!

use lottery results and the modelo function to pick a winner.

for example:

51 contestants
number each contestant 0-50

when the winning lottery numbers are drawn on a pre-set day, take them and enter them into a scientific calculator, for our example they might be 4,19,25,37,43.

enter in 7,19,25,37, and 43 into a calculator one after the other, then hit the MOD function and then 51 (for the number of contestants)

the number that comes out, in this case is 32. So contestant number 32 would be the winner.

perfect way to do random winners, no flaws whatsoever.

This is how I do it.

Well, if you know about how many participants there will be, you can just do the random number drawing BEFORE the people are numbered(by order of post or whatever) then host the timestamped picture with the number somewhere where people can see the date of upload...

Edit: Actually, nvm. This doesnt make much difference :)

With the MSR draw method ... it worked really well when incorporating a thread at the forum where participants would need to post in order to obtain their official draw number. This is the method I also used in 2006 when I was managing events for ND and we had no issues with it whatsoever, nor did I have any issues when I used it for the MSR events. There's no trust factor involved at all, and everyone can see what the Euro Lotto numbers are that are drawn on a Friday night. As Oleg said, he's been using it successfully as well. :D

No, It would be Gambling if you paid for it....Since nobody will be giving me ped it is not gambling. I will be giving it away. I just need a fair random way to do so. N8

Actually it would be a lottery sadly, atleast according to swedish law. If a participant can win more than they bet (they bet 0 here) it's a lottery. But then i dont know how hard MA would be on this though and i think they wouldnt be caring at all. As it's sort of outside the game in one way.

Actually it would be a lottery sadly, atleast according to swedish law. If a participant can win more than they bet (they bet 0 here) it's a lottery. But then i dont know how hard MA would be on this though and i think they wouldnt be caring at all. As it's sort of outside the game in one way.

LOL, If they actually cared....every ingame event...you spend a few ped on a ticket...some of them done by Q is 150 ped for a ticket to win 5k ped... lol if that is allowed mine should be no problem! N8

I have an idea ... announce ahead of time you will be giving away free PEDs at, oh, say, Port Atlantis. Then, after several hundred Avas crowd around the TP, just wade into the crowd and trade people 1 by 1 until all your money is gone, and then disappear.

Better yet, announce ahead of time that the PEDs will be "plentiful" but here's the kicker, only give away 1 gift for every 1000 people. Pretty cool, hunh?

LOL, If they actually cared....every ingame event...you spend a few ped on a ticket...some of them done by Q is 150 ped for a ticket to win 5k ped... lol if that is allowed mine should be no problem! N8

actually no, the ticket is to participate in the event. Ie it's not a lotteryticket. Then you just go about your business as usuall ie hunting etc and since the loot isnt gambling so eint the event.

I can't recall the name, but I remember an online game where you could actually acquire a set of dice and when you activated them, it would show on the local chat what the numbers were that were rolled. It was very slick and obviously a great way to pick winners.

-Seth

Hello community!

I am working on my next event idea and I have a problem. For this even I am going to end up with possibly having to have some fair way to randomly pick between a # of avatars. It might be between 2 and and could be as many as 20 or even more. So I'm looking for ideas on how this could be done fairly with no chance of ppl accusing me of rigging the outcome. This is Important and there will be quite a lot of peds at stake. And there is a good possibility that I will have a friend or two involved in the event. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks HuntingN8

I don't think you should randomly pick avatars. Any event that features that type of selection i avoid like the plague!

A better way to select is based on skill and performance imho. Without knowing the details of your event i can't really say how that could work for your event.

Use stackables/worthless items to represent win or loss, have the avatars choose from a pile in your inventory. The ones who choose the pre-selected right ones win.

Hurrikane

As you have already figured out, there is NO way to "prove" to anyone that you didn't rig the outcome.

You could video tape it, but just like the random generator, you could video yourself pulling a random name or number until you got the outcome you wanted. :eyecrazy:

So, don't friggin' worry about it. Just make it simple, pull a name out of a hat and be done with it.

<For my "Red Room" contest, contestants had to submit answers from a quiz, then one of those individuals were selected at random from a hat. My son pulled the name out of the hat. Funny thing is, when he puled the winning name out of the hat (which happened to be an ingame friend of mine), I actually considered pulling a different name so it wouldn't look like I rigged the event, LOL!!!>

make a team with some of the contestants , fraps it too , shoot a chirpie on behalf of each participant , say u have 50 people then shoot 50 chirpie and the highest looter wins for the person it represents:p

Back