So what do you think of Next Island?

AJack10600

Elite
Society
SPU ¦ Smart Professionals United
Larios Semai Niva
Semai says| ...

Not sure if everybody has seen this link then : http://nextisland.com/index.php

What do you think of Next Island ? The website, the video on the right which is obviously a new planet? Somehow the contrast to EU with Cryengine2 is shocking...

I really wonder how these planets will all fit together...

Anther thing was that Marco Mentioned that our Avatars could travel to the other planets... so if the graphics are different... will we look different on these planets? Also there is a massive range of new jobs there... so do we get 100s of new skill attributes?

Somehow I can't see how it will all fit together... the storyline for Next Island is a real bender... that's how you go from EU to SL and the SMS in a Sci-Fi theme :D

Ok I'm over negative now... but I guess I just can't see it working out atm... MA surprise me positively pelase :ahh:

Dunno .. i think the video on right is old concept.. it will be reworked to cryengine.. im sure that every planet at our system will be done in cryengine..

Anyway its a thing im really not interested in.. i have no problem with RL so i dont need to live second life on next island roflmg... ( sorry to some people but these kinds of "2nd lifes" are the bigest BS and for nolife tards which are not able to comunicate ... :F )
EDIT: I know there are some possibilites to perform... as it can be seen on the video.. thats nice i approve but still i think what i wrote above

Check this it rocks ! >D

Last edited:
Dunno .. i think the video on right is old concept.. it will be reworked to cryengine.. im sure that every planet at our system will be done in cryengine..

Anyway its a thing im really not interested in.. i have no problem with RL so i dont need to live second life on next island roflmg... ( sorry to some people but these kinds of "2nd lifes" are the bigest BS and for nolife tards which are not able to comunicate ... :F )
EDIT: I know there are some possibilites to perform... as it can be seen on the video.. thats nice i approve but still i think what i wrote above

Check this it rocks ! >D

Problem that no Revival Terminals in that game so i prefer EU :D

At least their website looks incredibly amateurish... :confused:

Problem that no Revival Terminals in that game so i prefer EU :D

Pff... Indeed there's RL Revival Terminals, but officer there takes your shoes off and won't let you out until 6 am and/or sobered enough.

:kos:

I would say that the graphics on the left are no better than EU now.

I agree with Semai - if the graphics (and therefore the movement of avatars) on all the islands is vastly different, it'll be a right mess.

Having said that, I'd quite like to see a connection/portal to other online games one day. It would be nice to TP your avatar into WoW or Afterlife once in a while, just to have a look around. It's just a stupid dream, I know :)

I submitted a support case the other day which was also to do with the new planets which you may be interested to read:

14 Sep 2008 You wrote:
Hi, I dont know whether I have put this in the right section or not. I have heard that the people who have bought the new planets will actually be developing them themselves. I also wondered whether they would also be creating their own items on these planets or whether you would still be in charge of that? I am just a bit worried incase they decide to create a fap that heals for 1 pec and heals for 200 every second for example as it will greatly de-value my adjusted fap. Thx.

15 Sep 2008 Entropia Support:
Hi,

As we work with technical support for the Entropia Universe only we can not comment on this case.

We can only advise you to stay tuned to the "News" section of our homepage for future information about this.

We are sorry for not being able to answer your questions.

Kind Regards,
Entropia Support

is the left one a preview of EU with CE2? :confused:

I submitted a support case the other day which was also to do with the new planets which you may be interested to read:

14 Sep 2008 You wrote:
Hi, I dont know whether I have put this in the right section or not. I have heard that the people who have bought the new planets will actually be developing them themselves. I also wondered whether they would also be creating their own items on these planets or whether you would still be in charge of that? I am just a bit worried incase they decide to create a fap that heals for 1 pec and heals for 200 every second for example as it will greatly de-value my adjusted fap. Thx.

15 Sep 2008 Entropia Support:
Hi,

As we work with technical support for the Entropia Universe only we can not comment on this case.

We can only advise you to stay tuned to the "News" section of our homepage for future information about this.

We are sorry for not being able to answer your questions.

Kind Regards,
Entropia Support

Semai says| ...

Very comforting... but what else to expect... :ahh:

How I see these things.

Mind Ark
MA has developed a functional RCE platform and saw that others where trying to do the same. - How do we do with this? We license our platform to the others and get a bite of the apple.
MA has the last year(s) focused on getting partners that will start new "planets" with the EU platform.
MA has to divide in to branches:
1 Calypso, our system where we play today and hopefully in the future.
2 Entropia Universe platform, called EU in this post.

Next Island
The left video has nothing with this to do. We should focus on the texts on the site and look in the right video. In the video we see almost the same we see now in Calypso, Avatars with poeses (some new here) and instead of high gloss they go for low gloss and get a more drawing like look. Eighter way it's the same. It almost looks like they stand at TI City TP in front of the shoping boths. In the shoping boths we see a new thing, a game. If we look at the list of available professions we see the same as here plus something called a programmer. So maybe they will add a profession which can create software, almost like SL. I like the idea of a programmer in game, but why should anyone wanna pay for playing "bubbles" inside a game. This is an RCE game so the player who made the game would for sure like to get something back from his program. Next Island will IMO just be another Calypso but with less gloss on the avas and another set of poeses. It lookes like they will try to atract celebrity people to show up in game and they might be good at that and draw in people that way.

Planets
As mentioned before, planets will be different types of games using EU platform with a plot to fit in to the Entropia Universe history. I'm more and more leaning for that even Space Pirates will be a new planet. So we have Chinese system,CK, Next Island and Space Pirates. Looking at Next Island there is a new avatar creation form. IMO there will not be possible to travel from Calypso to Next Island and bringing your skills. And I'm sure that with the Chinese this will be a locked Chinese system where we aren't welcome. With Space Pirates (if that is an new planet) we will probably be able to travel since ND likes us all :). Regarding CK, I don't have a clue. So we will probaly see booth kinds of planets, some where we can travel and some where we can't. I guess many of us will create a new avatar at the new planets as soon as possible to get the old exploring feeling back and take a good look at the possibilities over there. We will have a great advantage over the noobs on those planets. We know how to grind, skill and search for info. We will know that a useless amp one day can turn in to gold. In worst case the new planets will be filled up with our greed and scare all new players away...

Calypso
Our place in universe is IMO just a test bench of the RCE concept, hopefully MA will keep it up to date and marketing Calypso better than today to atrackt new Calypso players, and bring in more fun/PED and gameplay. If Calypso stalls and the new planets have a richer content than Calypso, this will be a very lonely place. With the new planets there will be a fight over the new players and the outcome of that is very unsure.

Questions
MA, do you divide Calypso and Entropia Platform?
MA, is there a plan to mantain Calypso?
MA, what is most important, Calypso or EU platfor?

Will there be RCE players enough to fill all these planets?
Will the mid lvl players leave Calypso and try to be the new Buzz or Etopia on the other planets?

Semai says| ...

The website, the video on the right which is obviously a new planet?

Obviously? Not to me.. My first thought when I saw it was that video was of their previous work.
My guess is that they will implement the same functions now, but on the Entropia platform.

Obviously? Not to me.. My first thought when I saw it was that video was of their previous work.
My guess is that they will implement the same functions now, but on the Entropia platform.

Exactly.. thats it... i remember that i think marco said that they will somehow control the planets.. so it will not be possible for them to create a fap which will heal 200 HP per 1 pec :)

Also the video on left is really cryengine2 and its from EU as it is showing same locations which can be found on screens from MA...

And pls no more comments like wtf they will implement together EU with a game which will looks like on the right video.. for the last time.. NO ! everything in our universe will run on CE2 you can be 120% sure about that :)

everything in our universe will run on CE2 you can be 120% sure about that :)

Semai says| ...

If that's the case then why put up a video like this ? Just confuses people...

If Calypso is just part of a big plan then maybe we should reintroduce Project Entropia so we have PE inside EU.. :ahh:

What do i think ?

Great :rolleyes:

FFS they did not even anounce the CE2 release date and we already talk about new planets

im certain the video on the site is there existing work in progress. why do you think they would be interested in EU? to get an easy route into Cryengine2 loverly-ness. they're not going to develop somthing worse are they.

some have said dont judge them too soon. unfortunatly, first appearance do count and that site is amatuerish, and in a "this is really how we meant to do it" way rather than a 5 minute hash.

14 Sep 2008 You wrote:

exactly why i dont beleive you be able to freely move all items between worlds, the developers might not want some existing uber with modfap and ImpMkII flying up and being the daddy on day one when they are trying to setup their own balance.

"Next Island" Backstory and the amateurish "fudge" to fit into the existing storyline...

I wonder if the following amateurish and very awkward “fudge” that the developers have used to try and fit this concept into the existing Entropia Universe storyline has anyone else concerned…

Next Island Website said:
Discovery!

With the initial discovery by space voyagers of the magical world of Calypso in Entropia Universe, the frontiers of interstellar exploration expanded rapidly. Millions of adventurers, empowered by astonishing technological developments from extraterrestrial sources, set out to quest for a better world, consequently redefining our human destiny and our place in the universe.

On a landmark day of this cosmic exodus, sixteen explorers from Calypso located a previously unclassified planet with no designation in the starfield planetary registry – a new world! Navigational scans from the space cruiser of the surrounding spacetime continuum could locate no familiar coordinates. All communication channels on the ship had gone blank and emergency broadcasts went unanswered. A review of the cruiser's deep space log revealed that the last recognizable sounding had identified the planet Neihrous, after which a gravitational anomaly had seized the vessel, nearly ripping it asunder before delivering the voyagers to this undiscovered planet.

Only later would technicians realize that the spaceship had inadvertently entered an unmapped hyperspatial corridor – a 'wormhole' – that had conveyed the cruiser from the mapped region of spacetime near Calypso across immeasurable distances to an alternate universe. But at the time, the space travelers had no idea that they had discovered a passageway to a parallel reality. All they knew was that they had lost control of their battered ship and had fallen into the gravitational well of a mysterious planet that bore an eerie resemblance to the world of their ultimate origins – Earth.

Topological laser-graphing surveys revealed continental formations identical to humankind's ancestral planet. Even this new world's lone moon displayed traits of mass, composition, orbital inclination and velocity equivalent to Earth's lunar companion. But there was no time for further research. The damaged ship had spiraled into orbital decay, and – with the cruiser's attitudinal thrusters incapacitated – the voyagers had no choice but to position the vehicle for a controlled atmospheric entry.

Their descent brought them in over an ocean that mapped precisely to the South Pacific, and they directed their emergency landing among the numerous atolls and islands of what, on Earth, would have been Micronesia. The aquatic impact flooded the impaired ship's fusion drive ventricles, and the crew barely ejected before the mangled space cruiser sunk into the abyssal depths.

Swimming for shore through a blue green lagoon, the explorers defied sharks and reef snakes to arrive under majestic palm trees on a white sand beach of such tropical beauty that they immediately dubbed the island Elysium after the mythic paradise of true bliss. But what hope did the survivors have of sharing their unbelievable discovery?

Only one communicator had come through the brutal entry intact, and its transmitter generated but a faint distress call. Attempts to hail Calypso managed to broadcast a mayday message yet received no reply. Would Calypso detect their emergency signal and, if so, would anyone be able to trace them to this remote and chartless corner of the universe?

To everyone's astonishment, however, a transmission from Earth crackled from the communicator! The fact that the adventurers' mayday had evoked no apparent response from Calypso yet managed to connect with Earth so many more light years distant provided the final clue for the ship's science officer. The spaceship had crossed over into a parallel universe. The eleven-dimensional hyperspace geometry of the wormhole that had transported them to this alternate Earth was also reflecting their communicator signal back to the Earth of their origin!

Availing themselves of this extraordinary link with humankind's birthplace, the explorers described the paradise they had found and provided navigational directions from Earth to Entropia Universe. Would their terrestrial counterparts find their way to this surrogate Earth and join in the exploration of a new reality?

Even as the intrepid adventurers from Calypso pondered the stupendous possibilities that had opened for them through their accidental arrival at the gates of paradise, figures appeared among the dunes. Cinnamon-skinned, henna-haired aboriginals in tapa loincloths and feathered headbands approached, and the new arrivals in Elysium shrank back, anxiously wondering if they would be greeted – or attacked.

One of the aboriginals snapped his fingers, and a spurting blue flame danced on his outstretched palm! He laughed with deep-throated jocularity at the surprise on the gaping faces of the visitors from the sea. With self-possessed dignity and pride, the magical islander bowed and gestured welcome to the strangers. Then, he thrust his flame-sheathed hand forward, and large, flat rocks materialized out of thin air, laying down a flagstone walkway before the new arrivals as if summoned by a jinni.

The voyagers stared agog, and one gasped in amazement, "What next?"

"That's what we should call this place," another replied, testing with one boot the solidity of the walkway conjured out of emptiness. "Next Island."

As if into a dream, on legs of air, they advanced over the enchanted flagstones toward their smiling hosts. Several of the soaked travelers gazed ahead, beyond fan palms and mangroves, and blinked hard at the sight of a jeep bouncing between dunes. Exchanging glances of incredulity, they confirmed they had shared a glimpse of what looked like General George Patton and his driver!

Were they immersed in a group hallucination? Had these masters of illusion disguised as islanders mesmerized the whole flight crew? Or was there a deeper mystery unfolding here in this wondrous world parallel to all that the voyagers had previously believed to be true? Soon, they knew, they would confront the truth, and fear mixed with wonder and became awe as the first visitors from Calypso realized that the saga of Next Island was just beginning.

Their urgent message to Earth eventually would bring others to join them in this daunting exploration of a realm whose promise and enigma surely would redefine the word 'new.' The possibilities opening into a tropical Eden of wormholes and time travel could not be imagined – only experienced. Will you join the pioneers on this unearthly Earth? Can you handle yourself where magic is reality and reality a paradise?

Historian and scribe, I can only record what happens – while you alone must live the adventure.

:rolleyes:

MindArk appears to have made the rather short-sighted and ill-thought out decision to sell themselves down the river for seemingly “quick-wins” in pursuit of the fast bucks rather than fully considering the long term viability, coherence and integrity of their product (which may also help explain my increasing absence and lack of interest in a once great concept which once had great potential).

To say I’ve been increasingly disappointed and disillusioned with MA’s direction over the last 2 years or so would be a massive understatement.

Next Island said:
Hair Stylist – Every Girl Needs one

ohh.. yeah baby!! :D
I like Next Island allready :yay:

WIth apologies to those that served with George:

Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about Eudoria and Amethera wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Entropians love to fight, traditionally. All real Entropians love the sting and clash of battle...Entropians play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Entropians have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an Entropian.
...There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Zychion. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are Robot graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did.
...My men don't dig foxholes. I don't want them to. Foxholes only slow up an offensive. Keep moving. And don't give the enemy time to dig one either. We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Robots that we've got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their Goddamned beaings and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.
...I believe in the old and sound rule that an ounce of sweat will save a gallon of blood. The harder WE push, the more Robots we will kill. The more Robots we kill, the fewer of our men will be killed

Time travel...

e-commerce, CryEngine2...all in E.U....i love it!
Gives a noob like me the opportunity that the 1st colonist had back in January 2003, on Calypso by being there and making it happen.
With my knowledge after (2) YEARS in E.U., and given the history of great early players.
I can see my self doing very well, and i will jump to as many new planets as soon as they become operational..so yes i welcome Next Island and all new partner planets!

Apprentice Jedi
Force Majeure

exactly why i dont beleive you be able to freely move all items between worlds, the developers might not want some existing uber with modfap and ImpMkII flying up and being the daddy on day one when they are trying to setup their own balance.

Maybe they plan on letting us move (L) stuff, but not the old unlimited stuff. This way it may not have too much of an affect on each planets economy. To be honest I dont mind what they do as long as they dont mess up the economy and de-value all my items.

MindArk appears to have made the rather short-sighted and ill-thought out decision to sell themselves down the river for seemingly “quick-wins” in pursuit of the fast bucks rather than fully considering the long term viability, coherence and integrity of their product (which may also help explain my increasing absence and lack of interest in a once great concept which once had great potential).

MA may not have had a choice, the IPO has been halted and they have slower growth rate of revenues (their words) due to the lack of updates on Calypso and the current refocusing of their objectives for the EU platform. The CE2 development needs cash to continue and this may well have been the least worse of the companies to come to them with cash on the table.

Last edited:
The vid on the right has been replaced, looks like MA have stepped in :). Looks much better, now they just need to work on the site itself.:yay:

I like Next Island so far. I've looted some really kewl items and skill gains are really quick. Some of the avatars are jerks, but you can already tell that by the black stars above their heads. So far, so good.

I haven't been there so I will not make a judgement on it yet :silly2:

I like Next Island so far. I've looted some really kewl items and skill gains are really quick. Some of the avatars are jerks, but you can already tell that by the black stars above their heads. So far, so good.

I haven't been there so I will not make a judgement on it yet :silly2:

The comedy club was great though had a few laughs, I even stood up on the platform shot a few jokes and got a comedy global for 57 ped. :laugh:

Semai says| ...

Not sure if everybody has seen this link then : http://nextisland.com/index.php

What do you think of Next Island ? The website, the video on the right which is obviously a new planet? Somehow the contrast to EU with Cryengine2 is shocking...

I really wonder how these planets will all fit together...

Anther thing was that Marco Mentioned that our Avatars could travel to the other planets... so if the graphics are different... will we look different on these planets? Also there is a massive range of new jobs there... so do we get 100s of new skill attributes?

Somehow I can't see how it will all fit together... the storyline for Next Island is a real bender... that's how you go from EU to SL and the SMS in a Sci-Fi theme :D

Ok I'm over negative now... but I guess I just can't see it working out atm... MA surprise me positively pelase :ahh:

I keep asking myself three questions. How will my gear work, how will my skills work, and how will the economy work on the other planet. Oh also what new items await me. I really don't care about the website layout. I am more interested in how it is all going to play out. I don't think knee jerk reactions are really going to do anything. We have to wait and see what the next island planet will play like.

next island will have magic... and it won't matter if you can fire your blp gun or your laser gun.. cause you'll need magic to destroy the beasties there.. the shade demons, night wraiths and fire elementals will just turn you into a corpse before you know what happened.

I'm keen to know how spectrum of life emotions can be classified in "LOL" ; "BOO" and "Clap" or whatever the third was. :laugh:
Too bad they took out the video. Can't stop laughing xD

sixteen explorers from Calypso

Am I the only one to find this sentence interesting? Could it refer to 16 actual Calypso avatars who have clubbed together and bought a planet? It would certainly explain why some high-profile avatars are freeing up a lot of cash. :eek:

Still feeling
blank-picard_facepalm.jpg

Judging by the site it seems like this project has been made in haste and without proper planning.
I could of course be wrong but I got a really, really bad feel about Next Island and it's effect on already not too great reputation of EU/MA.:(

Back